The guide for choosing the best laptops for 3D modeling in 2022 is here. So if you are looking for the best workstation or laptop for 3D modeling and rendering, this is your guide. In as much as you can hop into the next computer shop and pick the newest brand of laptop, you have to understand this. Not just any computer can handle 3D tasks. Why is this so? 3D modeling and rendering are some of the most intensive tasks for your computer.
So before you go ahead and buy a workstation or a laptop, you have to understand that 3D modeling and rendering use computers very differently. Thus, having the best and latest 3D software may not do the job if you don’t have the right hardware to run it. So the best thing to do is to learn which computer works best for you. You have to understand the difference between each task. This will help you in selecting the best computer, which will help you improve the quality of your 3D work. And with this, you will definitely get your money’s worth.
What is 3D Modelling?
Modeling here means the base level in any successful 3D design. It is mostly used for drawing 3D shapes and converting them into models. These models can be used in showcasing graphics or representing a certain object.
3D modelling is used in architecture, real estate, home décor, and other industries, in providing a prototype that would present ideas and bring them to life. A designer uses software in creating a 3D Model for showcasing designs effectively.
What is 3D Rendering?
Rendering collects data from 3D modeling and further tweaks it and processes it with advanced 3D Rendering software. 3D rendering is mostly useful in adding specifications and detailed design enhancement. It is also used in the process of creating a smooth presentation. This is because a model can have different color varieties and finishing options.
In processing the rendering, you need a strong computer with ample processing data to model quickly. Otherwise rendering will take time.
So here we have the 5 best laptops for 3D modeling in 2021:
ASUS ZenBook Pro Duo
The ZenBook Pro Duo laptop is a premium workstation laptop for 3D modeling in 2021. This laptop is best suited for all your rendering and modeling needs. The ZenBook Pro Duo is super-fast, robust, and will help in producing outstanding animations. With a 4K UHD screen, this laptop makes gorgeous visuals. But note that this laptop is one of the most expensive laptops. However using this laptop, you will discover that this device is a wise investment.
- CPU – 4 GHz (clock speed up to 5.0GHz) Intel Core i9 9980HK
- GPU – 6GB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
- RAM – 32GB
- Storage – 1TB SSD
- Display – 6 inch 4K (3840 × 2160)
MSI GL65 Leopard
The MSI GL65 Leopard is a gaming laptop that also doubles as a powerful 3D modeling laptop. This powerful device comes with a powerful GPU that is capable of handling intensive rendering. Another plus for this device is its great cooler which ensures it won’t overheat. This powerful device is an affordable option though a bit bulky and heavy, weighing almost 5lbs. As such, it is best suited as an office laptop. This device on the downside has a short battery life of a maximum of 4 hours.
- CPU – 6GHz Intel Core i7 10750H
- GPU – 8GB NVIDIA RTX 2070
- RAM – 16GB
- Storage – 512GB SSD
- Display – 6-inch FHD (1920 × 1080)
ASUS ROG Strix
The ASUS ROG Strix is designed as a gaming laptop that is also ideal for 3D designers. It is one of the best choice of laptops you would make for 3D modeling. With a large screen, this device enables you to see all the details in your design. This device renders animations quickly and its smart cooling prevents it from overheating.
- CPU – 8th Gen Intel Core i7
- GPU – NVIDIA GeForce GTX 10
- RAM – 32GB
- Storage – 512GB SSD
- Display – 3-inch (1920 × 1080)
Acer (Acer Helios 500 PH517)
Here we bring you the Acer Helios 500 PH517 laptop which is good fit for running 3D modeling. This top-end performance laptop is crafted with impressive specs that you would love. It has a massive and beautiful display, which makes working a delight. Additionally, its excellent cooling system, ensures that your device is not overheated during long hours of work. So if you are in the market for the best laptop for 3D modelling in 2021, you can settle for this laptop.
- CPU – i7-8950HK (6 cores)
- GPU – GTX 1070 with 8GB of video memory
- RAM – 32GB RAM
- Storage – 512GB NVMe SSD
- Display – 3-inch Full HD 144 Hz
Gigabyte (Ultra – Thin Gigabyte Aero 15X V8-BK4
The Gigabyte ultra-thin Gigabyte Aero 15X V8-BK4 is one great option of a laptop when it comes to 3D modeling. It is a higher-end graphics card-best laptop for Maya. This ultra-thin and lightweight laptop makes working on your 3D modeling project a delight any day and time.
- CPU – i7-8750H
- GPU – GeForce GTX 1070 with 8 GB
- RAM – 16GB RAM
- SSD – 512GB PCle SSD
- Display – 6-inch Full HD IPS Screen.
Difference Between GPU Rendering & CPU
Currently, there are two main methods of Rendering in 3D Software. Let’s take a look:
- CPU Rendering uses processor
- It needs all of the CPU cores 100% of the time during rendering.
- It rendering is actually very slow as compared to what is possible with GPU rendering.
- Choose a CPU that has many cores as possible if you want a PC for rendering. As compared to modeling, processing can be done on a single CPU core. Understand that the more cores the CPU has, the more power the PC consumes. Also the more heat it produces, which can affect the PC’s efficiency.
- It rendering uses Graphics Card.
- It became more popular in the 3D world because of the detailed 3D images and good results.
- In most cases, GPU rendering engines are much faster.
- Factoring in the GPU when budgeting is ideal.
- GPU relieves some of the stress off the CPU and enables your computer to run smoothly.
Main Components for a 3D Modeling and Rendering Computer
The main components that a 3D modeling and rendering computer should have comprised the following:
- Computer Case
- Processor or CPU
- Graphics Card
- Power Supply Unit (PSU)
- Input Devices – Mouse Keyboard, Tablet, etc.
- Storage Device – SSD, NVE, HDD
Best Components for a 3D Modeling and Rendering Workstation
In the near future, we are certain that GPU rendering is likely to overtake the CPU. When it comes to GPUs, NVIDIA GPUs are the best choice. This is because they offer you excellent rendering speed, as they tend to perform better in different workloads. This does not cause conflict or compatibility concerns.
With a faster CPU, you will always have better performance, however this is not everything.
Thus, when opting for a CPU in your build, you have to keep the following in mind:
- Many cores are most ideal for 3D modeling and rendering.
- You need a CPU that is clocked as high as possible.
- It has to be compatible with the motherboard, RAM, and CPU cooler.
Best Cooling Unit
When it comes to cooling units, you have lots of choices. However, the best is Cooler Master Liquid ML120R RGB.
- Compatible with Intel LGA 775 – LGA 2066; AMD AM2 – AM4, FM1 – FM2+, FM2.
- Rotation frequency – Up to 2000 RPM
- Noise volume – 30 decibels
- Dimensions (LxWxH) – 6.2 × 4.7 × 1.1 inches
- Luminous RGB lighting – Color can be personalized.
- Premium design
- Features an oxidation-free pump as well as an efficient radiator.
- Can be easily installed.
A good PSU (Power Supply Unit) should be capable of supporting a sufficient wattage for your build. You’ll typically need 400-500 Watt for a regular build, with an additional 250W for every GPU.
The best PSU – Corsair RM550×
- Up to 550 Watts
- Cooling – 135mm Rifle Bearing Fan (NR135L)
- Warranty – 10 years
- Full power at 48°C
- Very efficient
- Silent even under load
- Fully modular
- High-quality components
Best Mouse & Keyboard
Best Mouse – Logitech MX Master 25 Wireless Mouse
- Controls up to 3 computers at the same time while moving contents between connected devices.
- The fast scroll wheel allows for quicker and simpler navigation
- Ergonomic design
In 3D modeling and rendering, you should be looking for a monitor with an IPS panel (instead of a TN panel). This is because, IPS panels have better visuals, better color, and better contrast.
You’ll also be needing a non-glare monitor if you will be staring at your screen for long. A minimum of Full HD 1920 × 1080.
Best Monitor – Del 27 4K UHD Monitor
- 27” lifestyle-inspired 4K UHD monitor
- Panel Type – IPS
- Resolution – 4K 3840 × 2160 – 60 Hz
Best Graphics Card
For rendering, you need a strong graphics card to speed things up. This is because, GPU rendering is much faster – up to 10× as fast.
When deciding on a graphics card, you have to opt for the NVIDIA CUDA graphics card. Among the two most developed GPU rendering available, CUDA (which is available with NVIDIA cards) offers better performance than OpenCL. This can be compatible with any graphics card, but is not as good as CUDA.
Best Graphics Card – PNY NVIDIA Quadro RTX 400
- Optimized for CAD applications like AutoCAD
- Low power consumption
- Though expensive, it offers great value for your buck.
- 8GB of VRAM in storing files that quickly needed
- 2304 CUDA cores for fast speed rendering
- GPU clocks at 1005MHZ core speed and up to 1545MHz with heavy processing.
All modern systems use DDR4 RAM. Even though the 3D design programs tend to require a lot of memory, it is best to have at least 16GB to 32 GB of RAM for a professional 3D design. Why is this? It is because the more RAM you have, the smoother your computer will run. Mostly if you are running heavy programs or several apps all at once, then you will need all the RAM you can get.
When it comes to storage, computers for graphic design, 3D modeling, or rendering do not need a ton of storage. However, if you want to store high-resolution and high frame rate data, then an HDD would be a great addition to your workstation.
SSD storage should be one of the main components of a 3D design workstation. SSD storage makes everything faster and increases productivity and performance.
The best Storage – Samsung 980 Pro
- Has the most responsive SSD
- Comes with 5 years warranty
- Comes with all the features you need from a high-end SSD hard drive
- Has a capacity of 250GB, 500GB, LTB, 2TB