If you receive a call from a mysterious unknown caller, or you just missed a call and want to know where it’s from, you can learn how to find the name from a phone number. For whatever reason you have to know the identity of someone who called you, it is possible to do so. There are numerous ways of getting the name even though there is no globally maintained official repository that you can use for phone number lookup.
Let’s see these mediums you can use to find the name from a phone number:
Use Reverse Number Lookup On Google
Google is one of the ways you can use in finding a name from a phone number. You can simply carry out a reverse ‘phone number lookup’ on Google. This method is quite easier than you think. All you have to do is:
- Type in the number (with the complete area/country code) into the Google search bar.
- Click on the ‘Enter’ key.
This method is quite important if you are searching for a business number. Most companies, institutions, and organizations have mentioned their contact details on their website yet from where Google picks it up. However, some people also have their numbers mentioned on online portfolios and CVs, which also increases your chances of locating a name.
Even though this method may not work every time, when it works you can find a name in seconds. To find a name using this medium:
- Log into your Facebook account
- Paste the number in the search box.
- If the person has a phone number that is linked to their account and if they have made it visible to the public (or at least made it visible to their friends and family), their profile will pop up in the search results.
Using Other Search Engines
You can also try out Yahoo and other popular search engines like Bing, Ask, Baidu, and DuckDuckGo. Try to go through the results on pages other than the first one also.
Use Phone Number Lookup Websites
Some websites have been designed for the sole purpose of enabling people to find someone’s name by phone number for free. Whitepages.com is one such site. It stands as one of the oldest and most reliable other websites. Apart from carrying out a reverse phone check, you can also carry out a simple background check on a person by typing their name. With Whitepages, you have a website that currently has the largest database of contact information available online.
ZABASEARCH – This is another website that can help you pair a name with a phone number. If you have ever put your contact information, like your phone number, address, birth date, etc. anywhere on the internet, it is highly likely that ZABASEARCH has detected and stored it in their database. Even though the website has been a subject of controversy for the longest time, what they do is legal.
AnyWho.com – This is another people-finder website that can help you in finding an exclusive name. Their database is updated every week, so you can try it out.
411 – You can also check out a name using 411. 411 can also run some background checks on the person if found.
Truecaller has built a huge community of users through its smartphone app. This enables it to the crowd-sourced new contact information on the fly. If you have the Truecaller app installed, once you receive a phone call from an unknown number, the true caller application will search to see if any other Truecaller user has a contact saved against the number. Once a match is found, the name against the number pops up on your screen.
Even though you may not want to be too forward in sending the caller a direct message, you can try this method if you have exhausted all other methods without success.
- Click open WhatsApp
- Click on the ‘New chat’ button
- Tap on ‘New contact’
- Type in a pseudonym for the number and save it.
- Once the chat window opens, send a quick message to the number.
- Then open your contacts app and delete the recently saved number.
- Navigate back to WhatsApp and choose the conversation you just started.
- Then click on the top bar to open the contact information.
- If the person’s privacy settings permits, you may be able to see the name (or the nickname) of the person written right below their phone number (After the – sign)
- You can also delete the message from the conversation, if the person has not seen it yet.