If you need to forward emails between the two most popular clients which are Outlook and Gmail, you are on the right page. Both Outlook and Gmail have easy-set-it-and-forget-it techniques which you can use to automate this process. But first you need to understand that there are some benefits to forwarding Outlook mail to Gmail. One of the benefits is that you will be saving space when you forward emails to Gmail in order to delete them from Outlook.
Thus said, let’s see how you can forward Outlook mail to Gmail.
How to Automatically Forward Emails in Outlook Desktop
We want to start by covering auto-forward emails to Gmail in Outlook’s desktop version. In order to achieve this, you’ll need to create a rule using these steps:
- Click open Outlook
- Scroll to the Home button, and find the ‘Move’ section.
- Choose ‘Rules’ and select ‘Manage Rules & Alerts in the drop-down.
- Click on ‘New Rule’
- Beneath the ‘Start from a blank rule’ option, choose ‘Apply rule on messages I receive’.
- Click on ‘Next’
- Choose the criteria for the type of messages you’ll like to forward. In case you want to forward every email that comes in, you’ll have to leave selections blank. Tap ‘Next’ and confirm the prompt if you see a dialog box warning that this will apply to all messages.
- In the first step on the next window, choose ‘Forward it to people or public group’. If you would rather forward it to people or a public group as an attachment works too, in the next step, tap on the link text for people or public group.
- Key in the email address of the contact that you want to forward the email to in the ‘To’ box and the bottom. You can choose from your contacts in the above box instead of entering them manually and can fill in as many addresses as you would like to.
- Choose certain criteria for emails you want to exclude from this rule.
- Key in a name for your rule in order to easily locate it in the future. Ensure that ‘Turn on this rule’ is checked and tap on the ‘Finish’ tab.
You just completed the process of forwarding your Outlook messages to Gmail. From there on, every email you receive which fits the criteria you set, if applicable will be forwarded to the address you specified.
If you want to stop forwarding emails, it’s simple:
- Go back to the “Home” tab
- Tap on ‘Rules > Manage Rules & Alerts’ and uncheck the box close to the rule you want to disable.
How to Forward Outlook to Gmail Online
You can still forward emails from the Outlook Web App. Here’s how to do it:
- Visit the Outlook Web App
- Click on the ‘Settings’ icon
- Choose ‘Options’, then ‘Organize email’, and then ‘Inbox rules
- Click on the ‘+’ icon
- Tap on ‘Create a new rule for arriving messages
- Choose ‘Apply to all messages’ under ‘When the messages arrive’
- Choose ‘More options’ then ‘Forward, redirect or send’ and finally,
- ‘Forward the message to
- Enter the Gmail address to which you want to forward your messages to in the ‘To’ field.
- Click on ‘OK’ to save the rule
There you have it, all Outlook emails will be forwarded to Gmail.