Microsoft Word offers users several options when it comes to opening a new document. Users can either use the keyboard shortcut which opens a blank page without having to choose from a list of templates which is the easiest way. Alternatively, they can create a desktop shortcut for Word. When you click on this icon, it automatically opens a blank document in which they can start typing.
If you want to write a business letter and are in need of formatting help, you can simply:
- Open Word
- Click on the Office button which is in the upper-left corner of the window.
- Select New from the options listed.
Apart from the Blank Document templates, the gallery also offers templates for business letters as well as other types of business correspondence. They include memos, stationery and fax cover sheets. In case you are doing your own formatting, you have to search for margin-setting options on the Page Layout tab. Then set tabs and other indents using the options listed in the Paragraph menu on the Home tab.
How Do You Open a Blank Page to Type a Letter?
To open a blank document using Microsoft Word:
- Start by opening Microsoft Word.
- Then select New from the menu on the left
- Thereafter, select Blank Document in the gallery of templates displayed.
- You can also type Ctrl+N to open a new document.
Exploring the Basics of Page Breaks
Anytime you create a blank page in a document, you are simply introducing what is known as “page break”. A page break is a noticeable delineation between existing content and a new blank page (which may or may not be filled with new content at your discretion). Irrespective of whether you are using Google Docs or other popular platforms like Microsoft Word, the page break concept is prevalent.
If you are opting to introduce a new blank page of content at a point prior to the end of the previous page, you will have to manually insert a page break. To do this:
- Start by positioning your cursor at the exact spot on the pre-existing page of text where you would like to transition to a new blank page.
- Next, move your cursor to the “Insert” button at the top of the screen.
- After you clicked on this particular tab, you would notice the option for a “Break” close to the bottom of the drop-down menu.
- When you position your cursor over this word, you will likely come across the option for a “Page Break” or a Column Break”.
- If you choose the “Page Break” option, you will notice that a new page has been created in your document.
In case there was more content after the specific spot where you initiated the page break, this text will be displayed on the newly created page. However, if there was no additional content, the new page should be entirely blank.
Blank Page After a Full Page
After you have completely filled a page with text or images, you can easily create a new blank slate. You can do this by tapping on the “Return” Key following the last line of text on the page. At this point, a blank typing sheet should be created. If you tap on the return key on the last line of the previous page but have positioned your cursor in the midpoint of a sentence or text, the material that pops up after your cursor will be moved to the new page.