Actually, you have more than one option when it comes to resizing an object in Photoshop. However, you don’t have to be a professional in order to get the effect you want. So here, we are going to look at simple ways of scaling, transforming, and resizing an object using the Transform function.
You can resize a single layer or several layers at a time with the aid of Adobe Photoshop. Here we will be using Adobe Photoshop 2020, however, any version will work. But, note that menus and tools can sometimes move between different versions.
How to Resize an Object Within a Photoshop Layer – To start this process:
- Open a project in Photoshop. If you are already working on a project and have a layer to resize, you can open it up. If you do not have one, you go ahead and open the project you want to edit in Photoshop.
- Then select the layer to resize. Choose the layer with the text or object you want to resize from the Layer menu at the bottom right. You can choose multiple layers and this process will still work. Then use shift to select sequential layers or CTRL/Command to choose specific ones.
- Choose the tool you want to use. There are a couple of tools that will accomplish this task. You can use the Free Transform and Move Tool. Both tools create a box around the selected item with corners that can be clicked and dragged for resizing.
To Use Free Transform
You can access this tool via one of two ways:
- Windows users are to press Ctrl + T on their keyboard, while Mac users are to press Command +T.
- Open the Edit menu which is in the upper left and proceed to Free Transform.
Using Move Tool
Understand that this tool is intended to move objects but can also be used in resizing them also. You can access it with one of two methods:
- Click V on your keyboard
- Choose the Move Tool from the tool tray on the left. It is usually the top option.
- Then resize the layer. Pick a corner, any corner to click and drag. This will resize the object in the layer that you have already selected.
- You will notice that layer proportions will retain by default. If not, hold down the Shift key while dragging the corner.
- Then save your changes. Once the layer has been resized, press the Enter or Return. From there, you can continue working or save the project under the File menu.