Want to know how you stand credit-wise? It’s easy, as you can get free credit reports via an online service. This will help you know how you fare before you apply for any credit facility. Just as the name implies, you can check your credit report for free from the three best organizations courtesy of the United States Government.
Your credit transactions which includes applying for credit cards or loan facilities, your repayment history etc., is known as credit reporting. Now this report is what is used in calculating your credit score. Credit card issuers and loan issuers also make use of your credit report before they consider whether or not to extend credit to you. To this end, it’s always best to know your credit standing if you want to apply for a credit facility. You will also need to know your credit stand to help you know the steps you can take to improve it if it has taken a dip.
The Free Credit Report facility is offered by the United States Government to help people check their scores with the three best organizations. These organizations include TransUnion, Experian, and Equifax. This facility is made available for those living in the United States. You can use the services of this facility to check your credit score for free. However, you can only do this once a year without paying any fee. However, the twist here is that when you are requesting to get a report from these agencies this happens. The first few pages can be downloaded free of charge. But to get the complete and comprehensive report, you’ll be required to pay a certain sum.
Table of Contents
Is It Necessary To Check Your Credit Report/Score?
Yes, it is very important to check your credit report/score. The following are the reasons you have to check:
- It helps you know your credit stand before you apply for credit.
- Helps you upgrade your credit activities like paying your bills on time if you have not been doing so. This will help in boosting your credit score over time.
- Keeps you updated on the activities on your account.
- You can easily spot unauthorized transactions on your account and act promptly to have it cleared off.
- You can easily report a claim where there is a mistake in your credit report.
Note – Any time you want to get a free credit report, you’ll be required to sign up for a trial membership on the site. If you fail to cancel the membership within or after the 7 days trial, you’ll get charged a certain sum for the month.
How To Get Free Online Credit Report
Before you can get a free online credit report you must first visit the Free Online Credit Report website and complete a few steps:
- Go to freecreditreport.com’s official website using your web browser.
- After getting access to the main page, click on the “Get Your Free Credit Report”.
- This will lead you to a new window where you have to complete the 4 required steps to get access to your credit report.
- For the first step, you are to provide your first and last name, middle initial, and suffix.
- Provide your zip code, city, state, phone number, and email address.
- Choose the reason for checking the credit report from the drop-down menu.
- Click on the “Continue” button.
You will be led to the next page, where you have to complete the second stage of the procedure. This will automatically lead to the third and fourth page where you will complete all the steps and check your credit report.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is FreeCreditReport com really free?
Free Credit Report is almost free depending on whether you choose to get your credit report including FICO score from the site. However, freecreditreport.com will charge your credit card with a fee. Understand that both the report and score, come from your data reported to Experian, which is one of the three major credit bureaus.
Where can I get all 3 credit reports for free?
You can get access to a free copy of your credit report every 12 months from each of the three nationwide credit reporting companies. You can easily order one online at annualcreditreport.com which is the only authorized website for a free credit reports. Or you can call 1-877-322-8228.
Is FreeCreditReport com a safe site?
FreeCreditReport.com usually tells users upfront exactly what they are getting involved in. The site keeps to the end of its bargain, so it isn’t a scam. You can sign up for a free trial of their credit monitoring service, which comes with free access to your Experian credit report and credit score.
What is the best site to get a free credit report?
Annualcreditreport.com still stands as the one secure centralized site where every customer can get access to their free credit report. This is granted by federal law in a bid to help those living in the United States check their credit report. You can check each of your credit reports from all three of the major credit bureaus – Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion.