The Facebook platform is quite a large one. As such it is not uncommon to come across someone who trolls your profile leaving you inappropriate posts or sending unwanted messages. Such messages can mess up your day or portray you in a bad light to your friends and family. To curb this menace on Facebook, there are a few things you can do. You can easily use the Facebook site’s privacy setting, to restrict what the person can view or post.
So how do you deal with or stop a troll on Facebook?
- Kick-start the process by signing into your Facebook account.
- Visit the troll’s profile.
- Then navigate to the bottom of the left column and tap on the “Report/Block This Person” link.
- Choose one of the appropriate options for the situation, such as “This person is bullying or harassing me”.
- Then click on the “Continue” link when you are through.
How to Block a Troll’s Profile
You can block the troll’s profile if necessary. This will fully prevent the person from seeing your profile and from contacting you. On your part, you also won’t be able to see his profile or contact him. To do this:
- Simply click on the “Report/Block This Person” link.
- Then choose the “Block” box on the dialog screen and tap on the “Continue” link.
How to Edit Your Privacy Settings to Prevent What a Person Sees on Your Profile
You can also edit your privacy settings in order to prevent what a person sees on your profile and how someone can contact you. To do this:
- Scroll to the “Account” menu which is at the top.
- Choose “Privacy Settings”.
- Under the “Connecting on Facebook” section, click on the “View Settings” link.
- From this settings page, you can control how you appear in search results. You can also control who can send you friend requests and messages, see your friend list and other contact information.
- Tap on the “Back to Privacy” tab at the top of the page.
- Then go on the “Sharing on Facebook” section, and click on the “Customize Settings” link.
- Review the privacy settings on this page. This will help you see if there’s anything that you would like to restrict. This might be helpful in avoiding contact with or revealing your information to new Facebook trolls.
Another way is by approving only people you know and want to connect with on Facebook. This should go without saying that many times we accept a friend request from someone we do not know. If you restrict the possibility of people sending you friend requests, you may not have to worry about this anyway. However, it is always a good practice on any social media platform, to only accept requests from actual friends or colleagues.