Even though adding video to a PowerPoint presentation can be a challenge, it brings added value to your presentation. At the end of the day, you will find out that it is worth the effort. There are a couple of ways you can add a video to a PowerPoint presentation. You can either add a video from your hard drive, embed one from YouTube or simply link an image to the video’s location.
Why Video Presentations?
You may be wondering why a video presentation is so special? It has been predicted that by 2021, online videos will make up more than 80% of all consumer internet traffic. With this, there’s a huge opportunity to make your business presentations snappier and more engaging. So for whatever you are selling, be it an idea, product, or strategy, you’ll easily capture the attention of your audience much more effectively using a video.
How to Include a Video in a PowerPoint Presentation
The process for adding a video to PowerPoint differs depending on what version of PowerPoint you are working with. If you are using PowerPoint 365 even though they don’t deviate much from earlier PowerPoint versions.
Embed a Video from a File on PC
- Tap on the slide you want, then go to Menu > Insert.
- At the top right corner, tap Video > Video on My PC.
- Look for the video you want to add and click on “Insert”.
- Then adjust the settings in the Video Format toolbar to ensure it plays the way you want.
- Then preview your presentation to check your video plays exactly how you want it to. That’s it!!!!
Embedding YouTube Videos to a PowerPoint Presentation
Instead of using your own files, you can also embed YouTube videos into your PowerPoint presentation. It is possible to insert videos from other online video sources, depending on the site. On YouTube, you will find the greatest selection of videos to choose from.
However, the current versions of PowerPoint (including 2019 and 365) allows you to insert a YouTube video using just the URL. For older versions of PowerPoint (2016 and older), you may need the embed code instead.
If you are using PowerPoint 2019:
- Open your PowerPoint presentation and choose an appropriate slide.
- From the ribbon bar, tap Insert > Video > Online Video.
- In the Online Video box, paste the URL to a YouTube video into the box that is being provided.
- Then click on Insert to add the video to your presentation.
- The video will be displayed as a thumbnail with a large play icon in the middle. Tapping on the thumbnail loads the video with YouTube controls, where you can play the video, pause it, or change volume.
- If you want the video to start playing automatically when the slide loads. Select the video thumbnail and click Playback beneath the Video Tools section on the ribbon bar.
- From here, you can choose Automatically from the Start drop-down menu. But if you would rather have video play when you click it, then choose When Clicked On instead.
How to Insert a Video or a Video Link – How to Include a Video in a PowerPoint Presentation
- Start by adding a blank slide to the presentation.
- Select Insert from the menu. Choose Video from the ribbon bar and select Video on my PC…. Then scroll over to the location where the file is stored and tap on the video to highlight and select it.
- Choose Insert and thereafter select one of the following two options to include the video.
- Then use the bounding boxes to resize the video to fit on your slide within your presentation theme.
- Then tap on the Save icon to save your presentation.