As easy as it may sound, inserting a paragraph sign in a Word document may be a bit confusing if you don’t know what to do. Paragraph formatting in your Microsoft Word 2013 document can be identified using the Show/Hide command in the Paragraph group of the Home ribbon. Note, paragraph marks are not included when you print your document. Rather, you can insert paragraph marks as special characters or enable hidden text in your print options, to display the paragraph sign on printed documents.
Displaying and Inserting Paragraph Marks
If you want to view all of the hidden paragraph marks in your document, then do this:
- Tap on the “Show/Hide” command (this looks like a paragraph mark symbol of a backward letter “p”) in the paragraph group of the Home ribbon.
- On the other hand, you can press the “Ctrl-“ to toggle this command.
- Also, you can insert a paragraph mark as a special character into the text of your document.
- Click on the “Insert” button, the “Symbol” button in the Symbols group, and then “More Symbols”.
- Tap on the “Special Characters” button.
- Choose “Paragraph” beneath Character.
- Then click on the “Insert” option and then “Close”.
Printing Paragraph Marks
Paragraph marks are excluded from your document when printing by default, except inserted it as a special character. It is possible to adjust your print settings to include hidden text, like paragraph marks, using the Print Options screen.
- Tap on the “Page Layout” button
- Click on the “Page Setup” tab looking like a small box with an arrow in the bottom right of the Page Setup group.
- Tap the “Print Options… “ button.
- Check the “Print Hidden Text” box beneath Printing Options and tap on the “OK” link.
- When you print your document, the hidden paragraph marks will be included.
Congratulations!! With this, you have been able to insert a paragraph in a Word document.