Mean is simply the average age of a set of data. The mean symbol is represented with the alphabet x. It is sometimes known as the x-bar and stands as one of the most important symbols in MS Word.
Mean Symbol With Alt Codes
You can use Alt codes to get the sample mean symbol into your Word document if your keyboard has a number pad in addition to the row above the letters. However, you to make sure the ‘Num Lock’ key is activated to enable you to use numbers on the pad. Simply do this:
- Enter the letter ‘x’ and hold the Alt key
- Type in ‘0772’ into the number pad.
- This adds the bar symbol to the x.
- The code ‘0773’ creates a longer bar.
Other Statistical Symbols in Word
To be able to add many math symbols in statistics, you can make use of the ‘Equations’ and ‘Symbols’ features. Both are located under the ‘insert’ tab. These include the symbol for the population mean, and the symbol for population standard deviation, o. These can be added to an equation even though both are Greek letters – mu and Sigma, specifically. Both can be found in the ‘Greek and Coptic’ subset of the ‘Symbols’ dialogue box.
How to Insert a Mean Symbol
To learn how to insert a mean symbol in a Word Document, here are the steps to follow:
- Place the cursor before X
- Navigate your way to the ‘Insert’ button and tap on the ‘Symbol’ tab at the drop-down box.
- You will see the ‘symbol’ dialogue box displayed.
- Choose ‘Symbol’ in the box of ‘font’.
- Enter 96 in the box of ‘character code’ and select ‘Symbol’ (decimal) in the box of ‘from’
- Next, click on the ‘Insert’ tab and you’ll get a mean symbol for X.
How to Manually Insert a Mean Symbol
To manually insert a meaningful symbol in a Word Document do the following:
- Visit the ‘Insert’ link and tab on the ‘Equation’ tab.
- Select ‘More Symbols’ in the drop-down tab.
- Choose the ‘link Equation’ option in the drop-down list.
- The handwriting board will be displayed. Just drag the mouse in order to insert a meaningful symbol.
Note: If an input error occurs, you are to tap on the ‘Erase’ tab and choose the error part to have it cleared. In the case of identification occurring, simply click on ‘Select and Correct’ tab, thereafter, choose the character which is to be modified and select the accurate one in the pop-up list to replace it. If you want to reenter a mean symbol, simply click on the ‘Clear’ tab to have everything in the handwriting board deleted.
- Next, click on ‘Insert’, and you’ll get a ‘mean symbol’ for X
Note: You can also insert a complex math equation in a Word document by using the same method.