HBO Go is one of the top entertainment services in the US. IT IS A MAINSTREAM SUBSCRIPTION video-on-demand service. Also, it features libraries from HBO, Warner Bros., and other associated channels.
Just like with our streaming services, HBO Go users experience the HBO GO keeps freezing issue. This issue comes with an error message ‘HBO Go can’t play video’. This experience can be very annoying as it interrupts the fun.
Several factors are responsible for this issue. It can be due to poor or no internet connection, browser issues, etc.
Luckily, we’ve been able to identify some possible causes of this issue and have proffered solutions to resolve them below.
How to fix HBO ‘Go can’t play video’
Fix 1. Check your internet connection
One ready cause that first comes to mind is a poor network connection. To stream on HBO GO you need sufficient bandwidth.
Generally, the recommended download speed for HBO GO is 3mbps. To confirm that your bandwidth is enough, run an internet speed test.
Fix 2. Restart your network device
To resolve this issue, ensure you restart the network device. Turn off the device for a few minutes and turn it on again.
This simple act will automatically fix all network adapter issues and may show error messages if there’s any issue.
Fix 3. Check the version of your browser
You might be experiencing this issue due to an outdated browser. Since your browser plays a crucial role in the success of your stream.
Errors in the browser may lead to inaccessibility to services.
Ensure your browser is up-to-date and cache free.
Clear the cache from your browser and update the browser. Afterward, restart the browser to refresh it and log in.
Fix 4. Get all your configurations right
Ensure all the configurations used on the browser and HBO Go service are correct.
Ensure to always update Adobe Flash Player to keep up with changes within the streaming services.
Fix 5. Restart your streaming device
If you’re watching HBO Go on Samsung TV and it keeps buffering, even on whichever device you’re with ensure to restart it.
Ensure the device is disconnected from the internet. Afterward, reconnect your device back to the internet
Doing this will enable the device to update all network changes and resume streaming.
Fix 6. Check your network signal strength
In case you’re using wireless internet, ensure the signal strength is at its peak. HBO Go freezes on Samsung TV whenever there is a fluctuation in network signal.
Position your router in a location with a strong network signal. This will help the internet connection work well without fluctuating. Which will in turn prevent HBO GO from freezing.
Fix 7. Reduce devices connected to the HBO account
HBO GO may freeze when too many users are connected to your HBO account. The loading circle would appear on the screen and even remain for a long time.
To fix this, sign out of all other devices and use one to confirm if the services are okay.
Also, note that many devices connected to your network tend to slow down your internet speed, so ensure to disconnect irrelevant ones to improve the speed. So that you can enjoy smooth streaming.
Fix 8. Clear App Cache from your Smart TV
The presence of a cache may cause your HBO GO to freeze while streaming. Especially when it has not been updated for a while. It also occupies your smart TV’s internal memory, which is supposed to be available to install other apps.
Depending on your streaming device, follow these steps below to clear cache files.
- Open your Roku TV and using the remote, press the Home button five times, the Up button once, the Rewind button twice, and the Forward button twice.
- Your Roku TV will now clear its cache and reboot.
- Afterward, launch HBO and check if it works without freezing.
Amazon Fire TV Stick
- Turn on your smart TV with the stick connected. Go to the Home screen.
- Go to Settings > Applications > Manage Installed Applications.
- Select HBO GO
- Select Clear Cache.
- Reboot your smart TV
- Open the HBO GO and check if it’s still freezing
- Open your Android smart TV and navigate to Settings > Apps.
- Find HBO and select it from your app list
- Select Clear App Cache
- Reboot your Android TV.
- Launch HBO GO and confirm it’s working properly.
Fix 9. Reinstall HBO GO on your Smart TV
If after applying these fixes above the HBO GO keeps freezing issue still persists, then you need to apply this fix. That is, deleting and reinstalling HBO Go.
Although with the fix, you’ll lose all your data on HBO Go, it will surely resolve the issue. It will also enable your smart TV to download the latest version of the app.
This process may vary, depending on your device. Follow the guide below to get this done depending on your device type.
For Roku TV
- Open your Roku TV and go to the Home screen.
- Find HBO and select it.
- Go to Options > Remove Channel and choose to Remove to confirm.
- Afterward, reboot your smart TV and go to the Home screen.
- Select Streaming Channels and search for HBO Go.
- Choose it and select Add Channel
- Launch the app and log in to your account.
- Confirm if the issue still reoccurs, hopefully not.
Also, For Amazon Fire TV Stick
- Open your smart TV with the fire Stick connected.
- Go to Settings > Applications and choose Manage Installed Applications.
- Find the app and select it.
- Then, choose Uninstall.
- Reboot your smart TV and use the Find button on the Fire TV home screen. Select Search and type in HBO GO.
- Choose its app icon and select Download.
- Launch the app
- Log in to your account and check if the issue is fixed.
For Android TV
- Open your Android TV and go to its Home screen.
- Navigate to Settings > Device and select Downloaded Apps.
- Find the app and select Uninstall.
- After rebooting your smart TV, launch the Google Play Store and search for HBO.
- Select it and choose Install.
- Launch the app and log in to your account.
- Confirm if it still freezes
Fix 10. Factory Reset Your Smart TV
If after trying out ‘fix 9’ you still experience the issue, then try factory rest on your smart TV. It will result in the deletion of all installed apps and user data. It also resets all settings to their factory defaults.
There are different methods to do this, depending on your device. See the methods below.
- Select the Home button on the Roku remote.
- Go to Settings > System > Advanced System Settings.
- Choose Factory Reset Everything and follow other on-screen instructions.
- Then, you can set up your Roku device and install the HBO app.
On Amazon Fire TV Stick
- On the Home screen select Settings.
- Choose My Fire TV and select Reset to Factory Defaults.
- When completed, set up your Fire TV Stick and install HBO Go.
Now, On Android TV
- Press the Home button on the remote and go to Settings.
- Navigate to Device Preferences > Reset and select Factory Data Reset.
- Choose Erase Everything.
- Afterward, set up your smart TV and install the app again.
Hopefully, this article has helped solve the issue – HBO GO keeps freezing. How to fix it! You should not have any freezing issues while streaming on HBO GO anymore. Ensure to follow these steps to easily fix HBO GO Keeps Freezing issue. If you still receive the error message ‘HBO Go can’t play video’, ensure to contact HBO GO operators. You can reach them via the contact details on their website. Visit their help center at https://www.hbomax.com/geo-availability.