Once you get a Roku device, you proceed to activate it. In this process, you will need a link code. Below is a guide on how to get the Roku link code, how to use it, and also how to deal with any error that is likely to come up.
How to get your Roku link code?
Finding the Roku link code location is very simple. It always appears on the TV screen when you are activating your Roku device. The steps below will guide you on how to get your Roku link code:
- Power your Roku device and make all the connections. To do this, make use of the instructions in the manual. Then, you will see a logo on the screen, after which you will see a set-up guide
- Proceed by selecting language and connect the device to a wireless network
- Once you are done with the connection, your device will download the latest version of the software and firmware. You will be asked to select the display option you want. Click OK for the device to set the optimal display automatically. Then, confirm the resolution settings.
- Once you are done with the display settings, an activation screen will appear with your Roku link code. Make sure you write the code on paper.
Use the link code to activate your device – Link Code on Your Roku TV
Once you have your Roku activation code, you can go ahead with the activation process. The steps below will help you with how to activate your device.
- Visit https://my.roku.com/link on your computer browser or on your mobile phone. Then, enter the activation code that appears on your TV screen and press the Submit button.
- Log in to your account in case you have one. Or, create a new one. Then, proceed to finish the setup process by giving the necessary details. Also, choose the channels you will like to add to your streaming device.
- Once you are done with the online setup, the Roku screen will update and the channels you selected will be added to the device.
Roku link code doesn’t work? How to fix
As you can see, from the steps above it’s quite simple to link your Roku device to your account. But, there are times you may face some issues in this process.
Below is a list of some of the issues you are likely to face and their solutions:
#1. No link code displayed
One of the common issues is the link code not appearing on the activation screen. This could be a result of issues with your device or the activation screen itself.
Hence, if the activation link code did not appear on the Roku device, get a new one by pressing the star “*” button.
The device stuck on the link code screen
Sometimes, the device can take a while to update after you have activated your device. But, if the screen keeps getting struck it could be that you have not completed all the steps on the website. Go ahead to complete the steps for the screen to update.
Error message after entering link code
You can get an error message after you enter the activation code. This may occur because:
- A typing error – you might have made a mistake while typing. Recheck it and enter it again.
- A temporary network issue – it could be a network issue, try again after some minutes.
But, if the issue still remains consider getting a new code on your device by pressing the star “*” button. Then, go to the activation website again and complete the process.
The link code is fixed on the screen
There are times the activation code will be fixed on the screen. When this happens, just wait for a few minutes. The activation process can take a while to complete. But, if the issue lingers, try the steps below to resolve it:
- You can try using a different email address to activate your Roku device
- If you are faced with Error 001, it means your device is not connected to the network
- Redo the activation process again
- Go to my.roku.com/link and complete the process
The web browser displays a blank page
If a blank page appears during the activation process. It could be because your browser extension is blocking the content from loading. Especially Ad-blockers. To fix this, disable all the browser extensions and try the process again.
If you don’t receive an activation email from Roku
If you are done with the activation process and you are yet to get an email from Roku. You can try the steps below:
- Wait a bit longer: it might take a while to receive your activation email. Be patient a little before trying the next step.
- Check if your email address is correct: check if the email address you enter is correct. A mistake in the email address can hinder an activation email from entering your inbox.
- Check your spam: Also, your spam folder, your email might have been set up to block the unrecognized senders. So, accept Roku as a recognized sender so that other Roku emails can appear in your inbox.
What to Add Channels from Roku device
You can also add channels from your Roku device. To do that, follow the steps below:
- Press the Home button on Roku remote and select Streaming Channels
- You will see Channel Store; pick the channel you want. Or, you can search channels for your preferred choice
- In case you want to know more about a channel. Click on OK to open the channel info.
- If the channel is “free” you can go ahead to select Add Channel to install the channel on your Roku device.
- But, If you have to pay for the channel then select Buy $X.XX to buy and install the channel.
- Enter your Roku account pin. But if you don’t have a pin, go to https://support.roku.com/en-us/article/220128567 to create a pin for your Roku account
- Also, if your payment info is outdated. You will need to update it. To do so, go to https://support.roku.com/en-us/article/208755978
Frequently Asked Questions
Why can’t I activate my Roku TV?
If your Roku activation code is not working, check to see if you have entered it correctly. Or, get a new one and try again. You can also avoid linking issues by ensuring you have a good internet connection and you have linked your device to your account.
How do I activate my Roku TV?
- Choose a language. …
2. Connect your Roku device to your network and the internet. …
- Wait for your Roku device to download the latest software. …
- Set the display type. …
- Set up your Roku voice remote to control your TV. …
- Create a Roku account and activate your Roku device. It’s that simple!
How do I activate my Roku activation code?
How to activate your Roku device?
- Use your computer or smartphone to access your inbox and locate the email from Roku with the activation link. …
- Open the email from Roku and select the activation link.
- From the Roku website, follow the instructions to create a free Roku account or log in to your existing account.