There is some equipment you can easily repair on your own without needing the help of a technician. Becoming a handyman and repairing some things around your house can save you a whole lot of trouble.
The DirecTV remote is one of such things that you can learn to repair on your own if you are having problems with it. You can learn how to unprogram your DirecTV remote easily. If you are having issues with your DirecTV remote, you don’t necessarily need to call AT&T to cancel your service.
Knowing how to reset your remote or receiver can probably get your service back up and running like it was before. In case the reset does not work, other issues may be affecting your remote. Still, many of these issues can be fixed without resorting to calling the AT&T cancellation number.
How to Reset the Receiver
You can learn how to reset your remote before you resort to more extreme potential solutions. For every DirecTV receiver, you will find a small reset button. Pressing on this remote might get your remote working again without you carrying out complicated tasks. You will normally find the reset button inside the card access door on the front of the device. Search for a small red button and press it. Thereafter, check to see if it resets the receiver and see if it corrects the problem.
In case you can’t find the reset button behind the card access door, you may find it on the side of the receiver unit. You can look on both sides for the small red button.
In a situation where you can’t find any reset button on your box do this. Unplug the receiver from the power source, to achieve the same basic effect. Then hold on for 15 seconds or thereabout before plugging the receiver back in. Then check to see if this resolves the issue with your remote.
Resetting the Remote Via Receiver
Where your receiver is working, you can use the buttons on the device itself to unprogram your DirecTV remote. You can do this without using the code for the remote itself.
- Simply press the Menu button
- Then use the arrow keys to navigate to Settings & Help
- Then press Select
- Use the arrow keys in highlighting the Settings option
- Press Select again to confirm
- Using the arrow keys again, navigate down to Remote Control and tap Select again.
- This will take you to the page you need to highlight Reset Remote. Press Select to confirm.
Note that this process is usually automatic. However, depending on your specific setup, you may have to enter codes into your remote in order to fix the problem.
This is the whole process, however, if you cannot still access your receiver or the buttons on the front are not responding for some reason, you can do this through the remote itself.
How to Unprogram DirecTV Remote With Handset
It is a straightforward process if you want to reset your DirecTV remote on the remote itself. You can do this, if you prefer or if you are unable to access your box.
- Start by pressing and holding the Select and Mute buttons on the remote until the light flashes three times.
- Press 9, 8, 1, and Select to confirm.
- If done correctly, the remote light will flash four times.
- The keys 9, 8, and 1 can be pressed sequentially. However, it also works if you press all of the keys at the same time. If the light does not flash four times after you are done, you still try again, pressing them one at a time or even together.
- Then, test the remote to make sure the reset process has been completed properly.
- If the process is not properly completed, then you’ll need to get further help or even a new remote.
Other DirecTV Remote Issues
Note, your problems with the remote might be related to something simple which does not require a reset. As such, it is worth checking before you give up.
- You can check the batteries by pressing and holding any button.
- The light between the On and Off buttons will light up with a solid green light. This implies that you have lots of battery life.
- A quickly blinking green light, on the other hand, signifies your batteries have an average remaining charge.
- A slowly blinking or not blinking light implies you need to replace them.
- You also have to check to ensure that nothing is impeding the signal which travels from your remote to the receiver.
- Check for dust settling, a tempered glass door on your entertainment system or anything that is directly blocking the signal path.