Some persons like it that their activities are not monitored. For instance, with Google Hangouts, your contacts are added to the left panel of your email screen for easy access. Now, because you can start to chat or video chat at any time easily, they can see you are online too. So to stop Gmail letting your contacts know when you are online, read on.
Your friends can see when you are online automatically via the Google Talk network-via Gmail, but you can change this. By making your status private, you can limit what your contact knows about you.
How to sign up for Gmail Account
- Head straight to the email registration site at gmail.com.
- The signup page is what you will see first. Move to “create a new account”.
- At this point, you step into the process of signing up for the Gmail account. Now, choose the account you want to create. Afterward, provide your full name, a valid phone number choose a username which is your email address. You need to choose a password that is strong and move on to click on sign up.
- Lastly, you have the verification stage to complete. Now, you may need to verify your account. Copy the code sent to your mobile number and paste it on the verification box.
How to prevent Gmail from Revealing your Online Status
You can protect your online status from been noticed by your contacts with the following steps:
- Move to the email account and click on the gear bar at the top right corner of your screen.
- Locate and click on “Settings” from the menu.
- Move to the chat bar that is among the tabs on the settings section.
- Select “Chat off” by clicking the radio button. Afterward, your online status and chat visibility will be hidden.
- Click on “Save Changes” after selecting Chat off. The page will have to reload to execute the changes.
How to Mute Notifications in Gmail
Some persons will also want to mute the notifications of chat for a set amount of time. This doesn’t mean that people will stop seeing your online status. If you desire to do this, follow the below steps:
- Locate and click on the arrow close to your name at the chat panel.
- Next, click on Mute notifications for… from the list on the menu.
- Select the amount of time you will like to mute notifications. You are left with options of 1 to 24 hours, Three days, or a week to choose from. Afterward, click on Resume under your name to unmute the notifications before the block expires.